EndSARS Protest, Police Arraign 14 Suspects, Case Adjourn To Oct, 29

By Omoghene Benedict
The Delta state police command have arraigned fourteen persons have been arraigned before an Ughelli magistrate court in connection with last Thursday’s End SARS Protest in Ughelli, headquarters of Ughelli North local government area that led to the death of a police corporal and an unidentified protester.
The police corporal identified as Stanley Etaga and the unidentified protester, were reportedly killed while an operative attached to the Eagle Net Squad, Sergeant Patrick Okuone, also sustained life threatening injuries during the clash that ensued during the protest at the Otovwodo axis of Ughelli.
Six of the suspects were arrested in connection with the unrest on the day of the protest, while the other eight were arrested in connection with the killing of the police corporal, attack on Sergeant Okuone, as well as the damaging of police vehicles during the protest.
The six suspects; Ejenevwo Precious Mudiaga, Onome Ovie, Ovie Oghenebrume, Umukoro Joshua Takpor, Duku Evans and Oroghodo Friday, were charged in suit No. MU/193C/2020 on a one count charge of breach of peace by constituting themselves into a nuisance.
Slain Corporal Stanley Etaga
The other eight suspects are seven males and a female namely; Iboyi Emmanuel, Umukoro Rukevwe, German Oghenekevwe Precious, Moses Eduwekon, Oke John, Ogbonna David, Prosper John and Akpovwigho Eloho, were all charged in suit No MU/194C/2020 on a five count charge to commit felony and murder amongst others.
According to the prosecutor, Brenda Ejelonu, “The various offences contravened different sections of the criminal code Cap C21, Vol 1 laws of Delta State of Nigeria 2006”.
The presiding magistrate, E.A Odjugo, who adjourned the case to October 29, 2020 for mention, granted the first six defendants N50, 000 bail each with one surety in like sum and subsequently ordered that the last eight defendants should be remanded at the federal custodian center, Sapele where they will be quarantined for two weeks before being transferred to the Warri correctional center pending advice by the Department of Public Prosecution.

Related posts

Leave a Comment